One of the best trail networks in the Kamloops area is the Emblelton Mountain trail system. Embleton is really a hill overlooking Heffley Lake, but the trails are pleasant and there are good views on the western side of the area. All trail junctions have trail maps. There is good parking and there is even a gazebo on top of the hill.
Drive north on Highway 5, then turn onto the Sun Peaks Road (Heffley Louis Creek Road). Follow the road past Heffley Lake. On the left is a hard-to-spot turn onto a gravel road. It is directly across the road from another turn to the Heffley Lake Forest Service Road.
The road is suitable for 2WD to the lower parking lot which is a short distance up the hill. The road also climbs to a higher parking lot, but it may require high clearance to get there.
- The main trailheads are right at the parking lots.
- There is another trailhead 1.5 km west on the Sun Peaks Road, but it is less-used and starts at a lower elevation.
- The turn to the main parking areas is at N50 50.337 W120 02.285.
- Google Map of the Embleton Trailheads
- In dry conditions, any loop can be taken, but a popular one is to go up the east side trails and over to the lookout and gazebo for lunch, then come down the ridge on the Skyline Trail, returning east on the Old Mills Trail. Use the PDF below for a god map of the trails.
- There are 9.5 km of trails to choose from. The trails on the west side of the area are steeper, but more scenic.
- Hikers sometimes go down to Heffley Lake for a swim after hiking.
- Embleton Trails Map (pdf)
- Embleton Mountain (BC Rec Sites and Trails)
- Top 10 Reasons to Hike Mt. Embleton