Update – There is a more recent KBRA map for these trails. Please check their website and signs.
Note – this site is a blog and therefore older articles and their information becomes dated over time.
The old roads and newer single tracks on the north slopes of Coal Hill and Ironmask Hills have been hiked and biked for a number of years, but were part of private lands or gazing lease properties. Recently the Kamloops Bike Riders Association has an agreement in principle with a number of parties to allow access to the trails.
|Hugh Allan Drive||Drive into the Pineview area; park at the end of Hugh Allan Drive||Map – Hugh Allan|
|Python Lake||Drive into the Pineview Area < Copperhead Drive > Lodgepole Drive and park; follow the pathway next to the wet area to the east||Map – Python Lake|
|Lac le Jeune Frontage Road||Do not climb the hill; pass Trans Mountain Pipeline and Sugarloaf Road; watch for a small parking area on the left||Map – Ironmask Trailhead|
- Hugh Allan Drive – N50 39.373 W120 24.448
- Python Lake – N50 38.898 W120 23.681
- Lac Le Jeune Frontage Road – N50 39.855 W120 25.713
1. Hugh Allan Drive
This is a mountain bike trailhead. A single track climbs the hill ahead and there are several side trails. Follow newly-named and signed Mikes Trail to go higher.
2. Python Lake
The route angles up from the end of Python Lake to a double track. These old mine roads climb all the way to the top of Coal Hill. Single tracks designed by mountain bikers go off in both left and right. The far east end of the area is across a fenceline and is private property. Linkages to the western trails cross the Kinder Morgan Pipeline at designated areas. The main one is at N50 38.781 W120 24.546 and is marked as Fence Crossing on the map.
3. Lac le Jeune Frontage Road – This route follows a short double track, then veers right onto a single track which goes around the Trans Mountain Pipeline fenceline and strats to climb the hill. A double track goes all the way to the top of the hill, a good route for uphill riding or hiking. Single tracks go off to the right, but are for mountain bikers or hikers. Once up the hill there are various route options.
- The best choices for trails are up Coal Hill and onto the Ironmask Hills area from the Lac le Jeune Frontage Road.
- The view on top of Coal Hill is very nice, but making all the right turns is not easy. The new signage will help. With all the right choices, it is possible to follow double tracks all the way to the top, but most hikers will use double tracks on the bottom and single tracks near the top.
- There are many unsigned tracks so it may take some time to get to know the best routes up the hills. Print the map and bring it with you.
- Python Lake to the top of Coal Hill and back is about 9 km return with an elevation gain of 352 m (1155 feet).
- A good loop into the Ironmask Hills past Galaxie Lake and back is about 11.5km and has an elvation gain of 258m (846 feet).
- There are newer trails and many were designed for interesting downhill riding. Use the color guide on the map to pick the right ones for you.
- KBRA will continue to upgrade and mark the trails (with our thanks).
- For intermediate riders, the double tracks are a good way to get up the hills. The main track up from Python Lake and from the Lac le Jeune Frontage Road are easier than the track up from the end of Hugh Allan.
- There is really no beginner single track on these steep sidehills so the double tracks are good choices instead.
- Google Earth image – Galaxie Lollipop
- Google Earth image – Coal Hill Route
- Pineview Trails Map – KBRA-Pineview-Bike-Trail-Map-Sept2014
- Article (2014) – Ironmask Lollipop
- Article (2012) – Coal Hill
- Article (2010) – Coal Hill
- GPS Track (.gpx file) for the Coal Hill Route or the Ironmask Hill route – email (tba)
- Google Earth (.kml) tracks for Coal Hill or Ironmask Hills – email (tba) for a copy
- Topo map of the area
- Galaxie Mine location – N50 38.533 W120 25.473
- Galaxie Pit location – N50 38.611 W120 25.435
- Top of Ironmask Hill (viewpoint) – N50 39.385 W120 25.397
- Old cabin on Coal Hill – N50 38.207 W120 23.301
- more to be added….